56 Unique Ways to Say ‘Happy Birthday’
We all know that birthdays are special events that are worth celebrating (ignore the naysayers – you’re never too old to have a birthday party). They mark another year of growth – of living, laughing, loving, and learning. When people celebrate birthdays, they’re showing their appreciation for a person’s presence in their lives. They (the birthday person that is) in turn, will feel valued. This is great as it can help strengthen the relationship between a group of people.
That being said, when it comes to birthday greetings, the classic old ‘Happy Birthday’ and age-related jokes have gotten a little stale. There’s definitely no harm in using the old adage, but if you’re looking to spice up your birthday wishes and go beyond the box – this list is for you!
Short Birthday Wishes
- Happy Birthday & Happy Everyday
- It’s your special day – go out there and celebrate!
- Happy Womb Liberation Day
- You’re only young once, but you can be immature forever. HBD!
- Congratulations on levelling up!
- It’s time to celebrate!
- Wishing you many more days, months and years.
- Wishing you happiness on your special day.
- Happy anni-birth-sary!
- Happy Womb Eviction Day (especially funny if they were a C-Section baby)
Quirky Birthday Wishes
- Congrats on making it another year!
- Stop being younger than me!
- You’re one step closer to a senior citizen discount! Keep it up!
- Congratulations on your (age)th trip around the sun!
- The more you age, the finer you get (just like wine!)
- I see you have a lot of experience in life. (Age) year worth of it.
- Your birthday is among the few I approve of.
- May your birthday be as sweet as the cake.
- Smile while you still have teeth!
- When you get older, two things happen. The first is that your memory goes. The second… well, I can’t remember the second. Anyways, happy birthday!
Romantic Birthday Wishes
- One day out of the year isn’t enough the celebrate how wonderful you are.
- Happy birthday to the [man/woman] who is the apple to my pie, the straw to my berry, and the peanut butter to my jelly.
- With each passing year, I fall in love in love with you a little bit more.
- I wanted to give you all my love for your birthday but there isn’t a box big enough. Besides, it’s already yours anyway.
- Fallin in love was easy. Staying in love was easier. Looking forward to celebrating your birthday again next year (and the year after that, and the year after that and the…you get my point.)
- Happiest birthday to the [man/woman] who is twice as sweet as any birthday cake.
- Your life began on this day, my life began when I met you. Happiest birthday, darling.
- Since you’ve taken all my breath away, I know for sure that you can blow out all the candles.
- Every year with you just gets better and better. Happy Birthday to the [man/woman] I want to spend the rest of my life with.
- I thank the heavens that you were born because you make my world complete.
‘Happy Birthday’ in 26 Different Languages
- Azerbaijani – Ad günün mübarək
- Burmese – Mwe nay mingalar pa
- Chinese – Shēngrì kuàilè
- Dutch – Gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag
- Estonian – Palju õnne sünnipäevaks
- French – Bon anniversaire
- Gaelic – Lá breithe sona duit
- Hindi – Janmadin Ki Shubhkaamnaaye
- Indonesian – Selamat ulang tahun
- Japanese – Otanjoubi omedetou
- Korean – Saeng-il chugha-hab nida
- Lithuanian – Su gimimo diena
- Malay – Selamat Hari Jadi
- Nepali – Janmadinakō śubhakāmana
- Oromo – Ayyaana dhalootaa gaarii
- Polish – Wszystkiego najlepszego
- Quechua – Kusikuy wata hunt’asqayki punchay
- Russian – С Днём рождения (Transliteration: S dnyem roshdeniya)
- Spanish – ¡Feliz cumpleaños
- Turkish – Doğum günün kutlu olsun
- Urdu – Saalgirah Mubarik
- Vietnamese – Chúc mừng sinh nhật
- Welsh – Pen-blwydd hapus
- Xhosa – Imini emandi kuwe
- Yiddish – A freylekhn geburstag
- Zulu – Usuku olumnandi